We’re Swanky and we’re a fast-growing, global ecommerce agency. Based in Toowoomba, we’re looking for an experienced lead developer or senior developer looking to step up into the role.
Join a friendly team that’s working to push our clients to the next level - learning new things, open to change and experimentation but always making sure commercial priorities and potential complexity are scoped as part of every decision.
We design, build and grow Shopify Plus stores that convert. With 3 locations worldwide (Australia, France and the UK), we’re expanding quickly and the Lead Developer role is a key part of that growth trajectory. We’ve been recognised as Shopify Plus Experts since the inception of the Plus program in 2016 and our clients work across a range of verticals. From FMCG to premium fashion, digital downloads to IT hardware and span over 10 different countries, their annual combined online revenues exceed A$1 billion.
About the Role
Embedded within the project team of developers, designers, analysts and project managers, you will be the go to person for all front-end related questions and out-of-the box solutions - not to solve the problems, but to help coach problem solving. Swanky’s Australia office is less than 3 years’ old and as such, you will have the ability to make the role your own and build your own career path.
Daily tasks could include anything from coding a bespoke subscription flow, helping our project management team define complex technical scope and risk, to helping lead the junior members of the team through shared solutioning, education plans, mentoring and generally setting a standard for our development and culture.
Other key responsibilities include:
- Design, develop, implement, test, deploy, and maintain software to team programming standards
- Contribute to the broader software, product, solution design, and roadmap liaising with the Global CTO
- Conduct code reviews to ensure that software meets code quality standards and applications are robust, performant, and maintainable
- Continually work to improve team processes, capabilities and output
- Knowledge share, mentor peers and colleagues to uplift technical ability within the team and support team members to create and follow professional development pathways
- Perform line management duties for your software engineers
- Support team members to develop and follow a professional development pathway
- Monitor and review individual team member's performance on an ongoing basis
Most importantly you need to thrive in a fast paced, team-led environment. If you’re comfortable with the status quo and dislike frequent process iterations in the name of improving output - this role may not be for you.
In terms of your skills, you will need to have:
- A proven track record of delivering of functional, efficient, responsive websites
- Working and integrating RESTful APIs
- Some back-end exposure using either NodeJS or Ruby
- Experience leading software engineers and a passion for sharing your knowledge and expertise, coaching and mentoring others
- The ability to build and maintain strong relationships with staff, colleagues and customers
- Minimum 4+ years experience in a commercial environment
- A willingness to improve your skills, and keep up to date with technological / Shopify specific news
Our ideal applicant also has:
- Experienced of Scrum/Agile management frameworks
- CMS experience (Shopify a bonus)
- Command Line Interface tools - Building and scaling user-focused web applications
- Front End Frameworks such as ReactJS/VueJS + TypeScript
- Templating languages such as Liquid/Kraken
- Compile tools (Babel/Gulp)
- Application databases
- Cloud based architecture (AWS/Heroku hosting, lambdas, serverless, webhooks)
- Database design
- Updating and maintaining DNS records
- Salary of A$80,000 - A$110,000 based on experience + Super
- TOIL (Time off in lieu)
- Beautiful new office in Toowoomba CBD's "The Bank" - with rooftop bar for Friday afternoons and client events
- Camaraderie in a friendly and ambitious team with shared goals
- A company culture that feels like a start-up but with the backing and experience of a global scale-up in its next phase of growth
- Fun, challenging and often high profile projects with global brands
- Opportunity to rapidly progress your career in our fast-evolving team
- Potential for international travel
- Friday Whisky Club (we are not afraid of other kindred spirits either!)
- Social sports teams (Futsal/indoor soccer, recruiting for netball and more to come)
- Regular office and out of office social events